Monday, January 31, 2011

Illness

I'm worried about my mental health lately. I always have issues around this time of year and with all the grieving lately its worse. I'm pretty sure it's official. I have SAD:

Seasonal Affective Disorder is a form of depression that occurs in relation to the seasons, most commonly beginning in winter.
The disorder may begin in adolescence or early adulthood. Like other forms of depression, it occurs more frequently in women than men. Most people with the winter "blahs" or "cabin fever" do not have SAD.
The cause of SAD is not known, but it is thought to be related to numerous factors, including ambient lighting, body temperature, and hormone regulation.

I always struggle with depression, but for some reason it is much worse at this time of year. Even my medicine isn't working as well as it usually does. I'm in pain again, something that hasn't happened since I started taking my medicine and I'm having trouble sleeping again from the anxious thoughts running while I'm trying to get to sleep.

So what should I do?
- Maybe my doctor can up my dosage
- I'm going to look into tanning
- Keep my diet under control
- Exercise
- Perhaps talk to my doctor about light therapy
- Start taking a vitamin
- Make sure I'm taking my medicine regularly and as prescribed
- Keep my anxiety level down
- Make sure I'm getting enough sleep
- I also need to get a massage, for the pain

Hopefully this will help.

1 comment:

  1. Yes!! Talk to your doctor. It may be time to try new meds or just increase the dosage. Of course there are things you could do aside from meds...the diet and exercise. I hope you find something that works! It's hard not feeling good. You did a great job Friday night!! Grandma would have loved it! :0)

    ReplyDelete