Tuesday, January 18, 2011

*Sigh*

Aaahhhh....it feels so nice to be back to normal life. Classes started today. I only had one so far. International Management. The class seems like its going to seem hella boring, but I like the professor. She's really smart and a good speaker and seems really passionae about the subject so maybe hopefully she can make the class interesting. I have three classes tomorrow. Hopefully, they go well also. I also went back to work at my internship today. I missed my office. Now, if they can just get me on the payroll, that would be fabulous.

So what's on my mind today? For the past couple days work has been occupying my mind. I'm trying to scope out my options for the summer and decide on a mixture of jobs that will maximize my earning potential. One, because I always try to make as much money as possible over summer so I can last through the year, and two, because I need to start saving this summer for the Chicago adventure. Here are some of my options.

- Summer RA
- Summer Clerical
- Racetrack
- Flowers
- iPaceSetters

Now the trick is to create a mixture that will make me the most money and still allow me to do The Music Man. I have to do The Music Man. If it came down to either making $50,000 over the summer and not doing a show or doing the Music Man and making zip, I would have to say I would choose the show (a hint at maybe what I should do with my life? ha).

Here are the details:

Summer RA: Pays $1850 for the entire summer. Some good aspects of this would be that it would give me a place to live during summer break and it would allow me to work another 15 hours outside. Some bad things are that its not a lot of money and I don't know how much it would allow for me to attend rehearsals.

Summer Clerical: Pays $8.00-8.25 an hour. Some good aspects of this would be working during the day (allowing me to attend rehearsals), there is no limits for other jobs, ease and pay. The problem is it doesn't provide housing and it would be a commute from Janesville, taking out a chunk of that $8 for gas.

Racetrack: The track is a no-brainer. They will definitely hire me back and they are considering having me take over the ticket-booth. This would be nice because it would be easy and a lot more and more steady hours than last year. This is only on Saturday so I can do it with any of these options. Last year they paid me $7.50 an hour. However, that may go up, since it would be my second year and especially if I take over the ticket-booth.

Flowers: Hosting a Flower Stand is something I can always do. It doesn't pay that well anymore though so I'm thinking maybe one day a week if I have a free day. The perks of this are utilizing my sales skills to create more revenue, ease, getting tan, and a lot of time to read.

iPacesetters: C works here now and is making a shit-ton(that's a technical term) of money. His second week there he made $800. In on week!! I'm really good at sales and think I could do the same. This would be a great place to make a lot of money in a short amount of time, thus allowing me to save more. My only fear is they won't hire me just for the summer, and again it would be a commute from Janesville. However, gas won't be as much of a problem if I make half the money C is making now.

Another great thing to think about is that I can make as much money as I want to this summer because in about a month I will be filling out the FAFSA for the LAST time!!! Therefore, any earnings won't ruin my EFC. Which is why I want to do the best possible deal!

It always seems like I'm complaining because I have too many options. I know, terrible problem to have, right? Better than no options. I need to be thankful.

For now, I need to talk to ResLife to see what kind of time committments are required for the Summer RA position and look more into iPacesetters. I also need to have another talk with Terry about the clerical position and talk to Michelle about the position at the track.

I will start playing around with gameplans once I have more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment