Monday, January 5, 2009

Start off the New Year right!

Have I ever mentioned that I love Dr. Phil and Oprah? Well it is true, and both of today's episodes were very inspiring for those who are trying to get life back on track for the new year. I thought I would share a little bit with you all.

Dr. Phil's episode today was about making New Year's Resolutions stick by using 4 simple steps:

1. Name It & Claim It
(Specificity is key! You need to have a specific goal in mind. Simply stating that you want things to be better won't work. For example, I would like to lose 30 pounds by Spring Break.)

2. Keep Score
(Apply a timeline to your goal and have a way to measure the accomplishment of the goal. For example, I have 3 months to lose 30 pounds, therefore, I will lose 10 pounds per month.)

3. You Can't Control what you Can't Control
(Focus on what you can control and make your goal realistic. For example, you cannot control what the dining halls will be serving today, but you can control choosing the healthier options available and exercising 3 times a week.)

4. Program Success
(Program your resolution into your lifestyle. You can do this by scheduling specific time into your day to work out and finding healthy foods you really enjoy.)

5. Steps & Consequences
(Take baby steps and Penalize yourself when you veer from your plan. For example, if I work out for one hour every day this week, I can buy that new sweater I've been eyeing.)

If you follow these 5 steps, your new years resolutions should stick!


Next, Oprah's episode today was the beginning to her "Best Life" week and she discussed her ever-constant weight issues. And she had some great stuff that I particularly found inspiring.

* Your body does not crave food, it craves love.
- What are you really hungry for?

* Put yourself back on your priority list.
- Schedule time for yourself (massages, etc.)

* Plan your meals
- If you plan your meals in advance, you are less likely to pick up that bag of potato chips.

* Exercise is #1!
- Resistance training with weights
- 30 min on treadmill a day (try singing at the same time)


*Good Questions to ask yourself
- Why are you overweight?
- What are you really hungry for?
- Why have you been unable to maintain weight loss in the past?
- Why do you want to lose weight?

So usually, I do not make new year's resolutions because I feel like if you make resolutions just because it is a specific time of year, and not because you are ready to do so, you will never fulfill them. Therefore, I tend to make resolutions all throughout the year. However, these two episodes inspired me to set a resolution. And since it is still Jan 5, I will call it my new year's resolution. I, like Oprah, tend to struggle with weight. It may not be as severe as Oprah, and most of you are probably thinking "What are you talking about?" but I am a bit more overweight than I wish to be. I don't feel healthy, it harms my asthma, and I'm afraid if I were to go to an audition right now, I would not be as likely to be hired as a performer as would have been a year and a half ago. Therefore,

I resolve to lose 30 pounds by May 31st.

This gives me roughly 5 months to lose 30 pounds, which is only 6 pounds a month. This should be easy. So everyone wish me luck and please provide your support. Hopefully through these 5 steps, you all will be able to accomplish your resolutions as well!

5 comments:

  1. Let's go have a massage. My treat!!! Call me!
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will call you on Wed to set up a date for us. It won't be before 2 PM. love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I kinda chuckled at the Dr. Phil simple 4 steps... then there was 5 :)

    A massage sounds good about anytime, have fun!

    P.S. If you need a work out buddy, I am also trying to slim down. Our family started a Biggest Loser on 1/2/09 and it goes for 12 weeks. I'm hoping to lose around 15 or so, and go from there :) Have a great week Lexi!

    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love a work out buddy! Accountability is always key! I think AP wants to work out too! We'll set up a time when we get back! See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete